Nettlecombe Court lies in a secluded valley at the eastern edge of Exmoor National Park. The house is a striking example of a Tudor and Georgian country mansion.
The manor was held before the Norman Conquest by Godwin, son of King Harold, and subsequently was the property of the crown. In 1160 it was granted to Hugh de Ralegh (Sheriff of Devon) and has never been sold since. It has passed down to his successors through a continuous family line of Ralegh, Whalesburgh and Trevelyan to its current owner, John Wolseley, in 1943.
From 1945 to 1965 it was occupied by two successive schools, but has since been leased to the Field Studies Council (FSC) and is known as the Leonard Wills Field Centre, where environmental training is carried out by the FSC.